Plantain stem has lot of health benefits and I have witnessed it.
Once my brother had kidney stones and doctors advised him for the laser treatment. But my mom made my brother to be on strict plantain diet and as a miracle, the stone itself got cleared within 3 days and the treatment was cancelled. Thank God.
Plaintain stem is a wonderful vegetable so make sure to eat at least once a week.
Here comes my recipe of Plantain Stem Koottu.
Plantain stem - 1
Moong dhal - 1 cup
Coconut - 3 pieces
Green chillis - 5/6
Tomato - 3 big
Onion - 2 big
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
1. Clean, wash and cut the plantain stem into small cubes. Then pressure cook the plantain stem for 5 whistles and keep it aside.
2. Wash the moong dhal, pressure cook it for 3 whistles & keep it aside.
3. Grind the coconut, green chillis & cumin seeds finely in the mixer & have it ready.
4. Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add mustard and curry leaves.
5. Once mustard splatters, add cumin seeds & onion to it. Fry until onion turns transparent. Add salt to it.
6. Then add tomato. When tomato is cooked, add the grinded coconut - chilli mixture and mix well.
7. Let it cook until the raw smell of coconut - chilli mixture leaves.
8. Finally add the cooked plantain stem cubes, moong dhal and mix it well with other ingredients. Cook until u see boils.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with rice.
Linking this recipe to