Here is my today's recipe "Simple Vada Curry". :-)
Yesterday when i was going through our fellow blogger's blogs, I saw vada curry somewhere & felt like making for my breakfast today.
ha ha.....that's how this guy(vada curry) is here....;). Check the recipe below.
Bengal gram dhal - 2 cups
Onion - 4 (chopped)
Tomato - 3 (chopped)
Garam masala - 11/2 tbsp
1. Wash & soak bengal gram dhal for an hour. Then drain it and grind it coarsely in the mixer.
2. Place the grinded vada mixture in the idli tawa & cook in the steam for 10 mins. Immediately take out the cooked vada from idli tawa & allow it to cool. Once cooled crush the vadas to small pieces using finger and keep it aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom frying pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard splatters add fennel seeds. Once fennel aroma comes, add curry leaves & onion.
4. When onion turns transparent, add tomatoes. Cook tomatoes until it becomes mushy.
5. Add asafoetida, tumeric, garam masala & salt. Reduce the flame to sim. Let it cook for 5 mins.
6. Then add 3 cups of water, mix well & allow the curry to boil.
*** Vadas will absorb more water so add required water as per the consistency.
7. Next add the crushed vadas to the boiling curry. Let it cook for 10 mins.
8. Vada Curry is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with idilis.