No matter how much sweet, ghee, nuts & raisins we add to our pongal, the sweet pongal which is given in the temples as prasadam tastes very special. Below is the recipe of the sweet pongal which tastes like prasadam.
Rice - 1 1/2 cups
Jaggery - 1/2 kgs
Milk - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tbsp
Cashews - 10 nos ( fried)
1. Boil 4 cups of water in a heavy bottom vessel/pan.
2. When the water boils, add the rice & mix it well. let it cook nicely to the mushy consistency.
3. Add milk when the rice is half cooked and Keep stirring frequently so that the rice don't stick and burn at the bottom of the pan.
4. Once rice is cooked well, add the jaggery water and mix well.
*** Jaggery Water - Break the jaggery into small pieces and add 1/4 cup of boiled water. When the jaggery dissolves in the water, filter it & use it here.
5. Then add the cardamom powder, ghee and give a thorough mix.
6. Garnish with cashews & serve hot.
Linking this recipe to Preeti's foodabulous fest