Actually this cabbage roll is very famous in Ukraine. They stuff rice & meat in the cabbage so it is called as " Rice Holubsti".
Since my kid eat less veggies & more non-veg. The devil inside me gave the hint of using the veggies..... he he.
Veggie inside & veggie outside...how'z it ;)
Cabbage -1 full
Carrot - 1/2 cup (chopped)
Green beans - 1/2 cup - (chopped)
Peas - 1/2 cup
Potatoes - 1/2 cup (chopped)
Bengal gram dhal - 1 tbsp
Pepper -1 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
1. Cook the vegetables carrot+green beans+peas+potato in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles & keep it aside.
2. Take the full cabbage. Remove his head( core) & soak the whole cabbage in the water & boil for 15 mins.
3. Then drain the water & take the hot cabbage out. Carefully peel the cabbage leaves one by one and keep it aside.
4. Heat 3 tbsp of oil+1 tbsp of butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add cashews & bengal gram dhal fry until it becomes golden color. Then add onion & curry leaves to it.
5. Fry until onion turns transparent. Then add chopped tomatoes & chillis. Fry until the tomatoes get cooked.
6. Then add the cooked vegetables to the mixture & mix thoroughly.
7. Now sprinkle the grounded pepper & salt. Mix well. Let it cook for 5 mins. Then remove it from the flame. With this cabbage filling is ready.
8. Now take one cabbage leaf, keep the leaf on the plate with the vein side up. If the stem of the leaf is hard then remove it.
9. Take 1 tbsp of filling & place it in the center of the leaf & roll the sides over the filling & roll the leaf up.
10. Arrange all the rolled up cabbage leaves in the oven pan. You can also pour some tomato sauce over the arranged cabbage rolls. But I didn't do it because I planned to serve with ketchup.
11. Now cook in the oven for one hour or until the cabbage outside becomes tender to eat. Prick it with fork to check the tenderness of the cabbage.
12. When the cabbage becomes tender & juicy, serve it with ketchup.