I use to make vermicelli upma a lot because its a easy to make breakfast in the running morning. I was hesitating to try ragi vermicelli upma thinking that nobody in my family would like it. But last week I just bought 1 pkd to give a try and everybody including my l'il one liked it very much.
Since its made of wheat + Ragi flour I happily went to the shop Immediately & got 10 pkds.....ha ha......
You too can give a try.......simple recipe is here.
Ragi Vermicelli - 1 pkd
Broken Urad dhal - 1/2 tbsp
Onion - 1 big chopped
Red chillis - 3/4
1. Take 2 cups of water in a wide vessel. Soak one packet of Ragi vermicelli in the water for 3 minutes. Then drain the water.
2. Next place the soaked vermicelli in the idli plates & steam cook it for 5 minutes. Then take out the cooked vermicelli & transfer it from the idli plates to the wide vessel. With this Ragi vermicelli ready for making upma.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the heavy bottom frying pan. Add mustard seeds.
4. When mustard splatters, add broken urad dhal. When urad dhal turns golden color, add curry leaves, red chillis & onion. Also add salt.
5. When onion turns transparent, add the cooked ragi vermicelli & mix thoroughly so that the vermicelli completely blends with the other ingredients.
6. Check the salt, if required add again & mix it well. Cover it & let it cook for 5 mins.
7. Ragi Vermicelli Upma will be delicious with coconut/mint chutney.