Yesterday night, my daughter asked me to make lemon rice & egg masala for her school today. I was so surprised how she came up with this combination yet very happy and packed her, her request.:-) Maybe she would have got the combo from her friends lunch box.
When I was a kid I know my menu only when I open my lunch box during the lunch time to have the lunch but now a days kids are very smart and they give us the menu list for their lunch box what a generation nah.....:-)
Egg masala recipe is here.
Below comes my lemon rice recipe.
Cooked Basmati rice - 2 cups
Lemon juice out of 2 big lemons
Red chillis - 3 ( do not add if you are cooking for your kids)
Cashews - 5
Turmeric - 1/4 tbsp
Asafoetida - pinch
1. Cook Basmati rice & keep it ready. Take juice out of the lemons & keep it ready too.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the heavy bottom frying pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard splatters add cashews & fry until it becomes golden color.
3. Then add turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, curry leaves & red chillies ( I did not add red chillis because I made this rice for my daughter).
4. Fry for few seconds and then add lemon juice & reduce the flame to sim.
5. After a minute add the cooked rice & mix thoroughly so that the rice completely blends with the lemon juice extract & other ingredients.
6. Check the salt, if required add again & mix it well. Let it cook for 5 mins.
7. Now lemon rice is ready. Garnish with coriander & mint leaves.
8. Lemon rice will be delicious with potato fry, channa gravy, egg masala etc.